About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday - 22 July 2010 - Old Card Games


Crazy 8s with the front of the original box (only part of that remains . . . I played this game to death as a kid!)


One of my favorites from the Johnson family, Wisconsin . . . great birds! A Chantecler is a breed of chicken, but also has other meanings.


"Bourse" - a card game about the stock exchange. The values sure have changed over the years! (The word can mean the "European Stock Exchange," but can also mean "purse.")



"Authors" is still available today, but it dates back to the 1850s. It's a lot like "Go Fish," but the players get a little education about some of classical literature. I confess, much of my knowledge about the classics originated with this game! Now there are alternative versions (American and Children's authors) . . . couldn't find one with some of our current authors, though (but there's likely to be one out there including Dan Brown, Stephen King, Dick Francis, John Grisham, etc.).

In the days of our ancestors, if someone had a deck of cards, the evening's entertainment was assured! Of course, today, kids still pull something about the size of a deck of cards from their pockets to determine their evening's activity, but they seldom play with other people (well, maybe they play with people on line)! Break out the cards & have a fun evening with the family . . . in person!

1 comment:

  1. Those Crazy 8 cards look familiar. I remember playing that game a lot as a child.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.