About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Countdown to Family History Expo, St. George Utah - Plan your Classes in Advance!


Oh, dear . . . there's only 7 days to go! Will I get it all done? Is the RV ready to go? Are the dogs prepared for another trip so soon? Will everything fit? What will I wear? (You know, all the important questions must be addressed as we prepare for a trip and even more are necessary to consider since I will be presenting 2 programs, hosting a booth - #414 - and sponsoring the Friday night banquet.) But we've been preparing for this experience for a number of weeks now.

How about you? Do you know the presentations you will be attending? It's a good idea to go over the options in advance and, for those who have pre-registered, you can do that with the on-line syllabus (click on the image above).

Let me give you some suggestions of programs I have either seen or heard of as being especially helpful for beginning genealogists:

Fri, 10am - Where do I Start? - Paul Larsen
Fri, 11:30am - Best Strategies for Searching Ancestry.com - Crista Cowan
Fri, 1:30pm - Civil War Research: Learning about Your Union Veteran Ancestor - Jean Hibben
Fri, 3:00 & 4:30pm - Google: A Goldmine of Genealogy Gems (parts I and II) - Lisa Cooke
Sat, 8:00am - Beginning Genealogy and Family History - Michael Brophy
Sat, 9:30am - County Websites: An Overlooked Resource - Jean Hibben
Sat, 11:00am - Journals, Store Ledgers, and Letters to Aunt Mary: Using Manuscript Collections - Gena Ortega
Sat, 1:00pm - Blog Your Way to Genealogical Success - Ancestry Insider
Sat., 2:30pm - Internet Safety for Genealogists and Everyone Else - Andrew Pomeroy
Sat., 4:00pm - Getting Started with Good Record Keeping Methods - Alice Volkert

Now, please don't think I believe the other offerings aren't equally helpful; in fact, if you are an experienced genealogist, these selections may not be as applicable for you. I am considering the many beginners who are coming to their first seminar, who have not got their genealogy research focused yet, or who have become overwhelmed at past seminars due to the overwhelming amount of information they have tried to absorb. This list also provides you with a variety of different types of information and resources. So please read all the data on the presenters and subjects before choosing, but if you don't have time and just want a schedule prepared for you, there it is.

See you there (and don't forget the Friday night banquet)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.