About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sunday Singalong with Circlemending - Songs of the Season - Snow

OK, I am reading Facebook posts by friends all over who are dealing with snow (some say they are enjoying it). I moved to So. Cal. to escape the snow of the Midwest, but I still appreciate snow - in photos. And in songs of this winter season. Many of our most well-known Christmas songs don't mention Christmas or even Santa, but they focus on the weather - the snow and/or cold.

One of my absolute favorites is called "Dark December" (click the title to access the full song lyrics) by Graeme Miles and some of the lines dealing specifically with the weather are:

Should we curse the winter, for being e're so dark?
When the sun is late in rising, but early to depart.
When the bitter northern winter winds freeze our very hearts.

cho) Oh, should we curse the winter? (3X)
And December most of all.

It's an old and obscure song with a haunting melody (I have recorded it, as have a handful of others). Just singing it makes me feel cold!

Any songs about the weather of the season? Share them here (some lyrics, link to lyrics, link to an MP3 or YouTube video, or just the title).

Your turn.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite is a little more upbeat. "Let It Snow" From wikipedia -

    "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!", also known as "Let It Snow", is a song written by lyricist Sammy Cahn and composer Jule Styne in 1945. It was written in July 1945 in Hollywood, California during one of the hottest days on record.

    Lyrics

    Let It Snow

    Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne (c) 1945

    Oh, the weather outside is frightful,
    But the fire is so delightful,
    And since we've no place to go,
    Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

    It doesn't show signs of stopping,
    And I brought some corn for popping;
    The lights are turned way down low,
    Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

    When we finally say good night,
    How I'll hate going out in the storm;
    But if you really hold me tight,
    All the way home I'll be warm.

    The fire is slowly dying,
    And, my dear, we're still good-bye-ing,
    But as long as you love me so.
    Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there are a lot of snow songs, but the ones the kids always liked when they were little was
    Over the River and through the woods.

    It still is one we sing every year.

    Over the river and through the woods
    To Grandmother's house we go.
    The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
    Through white and drifted snow.

    Over the river and through the woods,
    Oh, how the wind does blow.
    It stings the toes and bites the nose
    As over the ground we go.

    Over the river and through the woods
    To have a full day of play.
    Oh, hear the bells ringing ting-a-ling-ling,
    For it is Christmas Day.

    There are several other verses, but these are the ones I remember the best.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.