About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Singalong with Circlemending - Songs to make us feel better

This week has been one of organizing and cleaning for us. Putting things in order can be a somewhat therapeutic activity for me. And while I was doing much of the work, I was playing music (not personally, I mean on the player). It occurred to me that perhaps I didn't needed to clean up to make me feel better . . . all I needed was to play some music. Of course, my office would still be a mess!

So, what songs make you feel better? There are so many songs that fit that description for me, but I can only choose one, so I'll select "Golden Slippers." I love the topic, but also the upbeat manner in which most people perform it. I found this version on YouTube that reflects these elements.

Is there a song or a tune that makes you feel better? Share some lyrics, a link to a YouTube or MP3, or just tell us the title - what song will help bring you up when you are feeling down? Or just keep a good mood going?

5 comments:

  1. Zing A Little Zong (1952)

    Vocals: Bing Crosby and Jane Wyman

    Please do view - and - try not to smile :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J5ivtTdLS4

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Blue Tail Fly song [Jimmy Crack Corn]. Never fails to make me smile and lift my spirits! You can hear Brad Sondahl singing it with the banjo on YouTube here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AK-C0ujQck&feature=related

    Smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an easy one! When I'm down and need to be picked up it's always Linda. For those that don't know me that would be Linda Eder. "Vienna" is the signature song of this dynamic, powerful singer and it's my favorite. When I'm edgy and irritated my friend Melissa always says, "You need a little Linda". So here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW9CFi2sPoA&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always loved the old song, "You are my sunshine". I don't know why it cheers me up so much, but it does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas! Yes, Patty, I could have guessed that one for you. And Susan, I knew that's where you would go. Thanks for the input, everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.