About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday - Insignia for the USS Holland


My husband turns 72 years old today. He designed this for the USS Holland, a submarine tender, back in his Navy days. We have it on our wall (the larger version is somewhere else . . . Butch was part of the commissioning crew for the Holland; his son Quentin was part of the de-commissioning crew for the same vessel so who knows where the plaque would be now!).

Happy birthday, Butch.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. We have a grandson in the Navy right now, so I found this interesting. Happy birthday to Butch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I remember it well! Hope dad has an amazing day!!! Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father and brother-in-law were both in the Navy as well! Happy birthday to your husband, Jean, and many thanks to him (and his son) for his service to our country!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.