About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Monday, June 12, 2023

Sunday (OK, Monday again) Singalong - Early morning gray in So. Cal.

 

Here in Southern California we experience a couple of weather phenomena: May gray and June gloom. The days suffering from these "maladies" start out overcast and sometimes a bit uncomfortable for folks with breathing difficulties (though I don't think we'd call it "smog," exactly . . . but I'm sure air pollution is not absent totally). They don't bother me, and the reason is simple: as can be imagined, days that start without a full-fledged sun appearance often don't get much over 80℉ even in the middle of the afternoon when the day is at its hottest. Out of curiosity (and to test my memory), I checked what the temperatures were at this time last year and, as I had thought, it was running much hotter beginning in late May and moving into September, with most days in the 90+℉ and a few (more in the latter two months than in the earliest of the spring and summer) in excess of 100℉. I remember the complaining started earlier and occurred more frequently during those days and I was not looking forward to more of the same this year, but I have been pleasantly surprised. Nevertheless, I have found myself singing more weather-related songs, and most of those focusing on warmth rather than cold, which we did experience significantly in our colder months (January through April and even continuing into May) when rainfall measurements were record-breaking (rain is the hallmark of So Cal winters, especially in the desert region, where I live). 

So here's a "gray day" song to match our June gloom days:

"Even a Gray Day," Tom Paxton, ©2019 (from his album of the same name . . . couldn't quickly find a live performance of this one, but that may be because he doesn't do it in concert very often)

Any weather songs come to mind for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.