About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sunday Singalong with Circlemending - The Senses - Touch

After a week + with a cold and bronchitis, I finally am back among the living. Just in time for the Sunday Singalong. Continuing on the subject of the senses, it occurs to me that there are a large number of songs dealing with touch. Whether it is a loving touch, a hug, or touching something, rather than someone, we are constantly using our sense of touch. And singing about it.

I have loved the old song "Bold Soldier" that can be found in some obscure music books (it's in an ancient Burl Ives pocket-book of songs that I have had since I was a young teen). The phrase, implying touch, "Hold your hand," is repeated a couple of times. It actually means to stop a moment, but sounds as if one is being physically held back. Of course, the song also involves a physical altercation - another type of touch. The Burl Ives version of the lyrics can be found here. But my preferred version is sung by Pernell Roberts and a YouTube of his photos, with "Bold Soldier" playing in the background, has been posted on the Internet.

Your song need not include all the lyrics - just the one about touch. Or make it a link to an MP3 file or YouTube video. Or just a title. Do tell why the song is one that you like. Remember, my grandkids have access to this blog, so keep it clean, folks!

Your turn.

4 comments:

  1. Well, you asked for it. Here's one of the songs that was popular - very popular, in fact - when I was in high school. And it deals with touching -- "patting," to be precise. Here is the chorus:

    Feet up, pat him on the po-po
    Let's hear him laugh, Ha-ha!
    Feet up, pat him on the po-po
    Let's hear him laugh
    Ain't seen a babe like this before
    He's so good-lookin', gonna have some more
    Feet up, pat him on the po-po
    Let's hear him laugh

    It was sung by Guy Mitchell in 1952 and is about a man's new baby son! Do you remember it?

    Here's the youtube link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITY_y1w0nTo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The song that means alot to me was , "The touch of His Hand", by Mosie Lister 1956. It was a duet my mother taught me when I was four years old. When I think of it I think of her and the many hours we spent singing songs and playing the piano as I was growing up. I also feel very blessed that God gave me a wonderful mother and mentor in her. Here are the words to the chorus:

    The touch of His hand,
    His touch always means so much to me,
    I cling to him now and He walks with me;
    I'll make it through to Heaven's bright land.
    For I'm kept by the touch of God's mighty hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up, Bobby! And I do remember it ... vaguely.
    Kathye, that is a special one (reminds me of one I can just barely remember - "he touched me").

    ReplyDelete
  4. "He Touched Me" is special to me too. It was a solo my mother was asked to sing in church many, many times.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.