About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Friday, September 17, 2010

California Family History Expo Countdown - 3 weeks and counting

I think it's time to promote what I will be doing at the Family History Expo in Pleasanton in 3 weeks (Oct. 8-9). I will be teaching 3 classes, 2 on Friday and 1 on Saturday:

# 3 - 10am Friday - County Websites: An Overlooked Resource

Here we will examine some of the information available on the websites set up for genealogical research within the different County sites as well as how to determine what county a city is in (and was in) and how to find the sites themselves.

#33 - 4:30pm Friday - Shaking the Myth: Proving/Disproving Family Stories

Here we will discuss a method by which anyone can get an upper hand on determining the truth or falsehood of a family legend. It's both fun and educational.

#38 - 8:00am Saturday - Clue to Clue: Tracking a Family Across Time and Miles

This is one of my most popular programs; it is a case study of a family with descriptions of the methods I used to find them as they went from state to state over a period of about 50 years. There's a lot of humor in this one.

Plus, Butch and I will be doing period music (and maybe a few original pieces) during the lunch hour in the exhibit hall. Our CDs will be available for purchase from the Family History Expos Booth (#67-69). So come to the event, say "hi," and have a great time! (Click the logo below to get to the event website.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.