About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

SUNDAY SINGALONG - Food/Drink Songs, 8 August 2010

Well, we are leaving Arizona today, after a full day of music and family yesterday - a good combination. The Farmers Market was a great experience (see previous blog) as we played and sang for nearly 2 straight hours while people shopped and sampled at the various booths presenting some of the best produce of the region. Having sampled some, I think I can agree. People enjoyed the music, too, so I guess I would venture to say that music and food can go together. In fact, at most of our music gatherings, refreshments are served somewhere during the event (and sometimes more than once).

So, what songs come to mind that deal with food? Or with drink? (OK, here come the drinking songs!) Remember, you need not include all the lyrics (and maybe just one verse of a song deals with food). A link to lyrics, an MP3 file, or a YouTube video also work. So does a song title. Just share a song you like that deals with consumables.

My offering:

"The Fox" - I love this song that dates back to the 1600s. And the imagery of "The fox and his wife, without any strife, cut up the goose with a fork and a knife; they never had such a supper in their life, and the little ones chewed on the bones-o." I blogged about this song a while back, giving the YouTube link to Harry Belafonte's version (my personal favorite).

Your turn. Don't sing with your mouth open!!

2 comments:

  1. Food or drink songs?

    Oh my!

    The first that comes to my mind is:

    "Do you know the muffin man?
    The muffin man, the muffin man,
    Do you know the muffin man
    Who lives on Drewery Lane?"

    Following that... "99 bottles of beer on the wall...", but let's not go there! We'll be singing it in our heads for the rest of the day! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the muffin man...remember it well...often wished there was one in our town

    ReplyDelete

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.