About Me

My photo
Lake Mathews (Perris), CA, United States
Born in Illinois, I grew up in Wilmette, a northern suburb of Chicago. I have one sibling, an older brother. I am married, for the 2nd time now, to Butch & got 4 children in the deal. They have gone on to make me grandmother 25 times over & great-grandmother to over 20!. After many years working in industry, I got my bachelors and masters degrees in speech communication, & was a professor in that field for 13 years. I retired in 2001 & returned to school & got my doctorate in folklore. Now I meld my two interests - folklore & genealogy - & add my teaching background, resulting in my current profession: speaker/author/entertainer of genealogically-related topics. I play many folk instruments, but my preference is guitar, which I have been playing since 1963. I write the "Aunty Jeff" column for the Informer, newsletter of the Jefferson County NY Gen. Soc. I work in partnership with Gena Philibert-Ortega & Sara Cochran as Genealogy Journeys® where we focus on educating folks about Social History. More about that: genaandjean.blogspot.com. More on our podcasts: genjourneys.podbean.com. More about my own projects: Circlemending.org.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Countdown to Mesa, AZ Family History Expo - 10 reasons to attend

Only 13 more days and the 2nd Mesa, AZ, Family History Expo will be upon us. Have you selected the classes you want to attend? I know, there's so much to choose from. To check the classes and who's in the exhibit hall, click on the Expo image above and then select the tab of your choice from the orange boxes on that page.

What makes this conference different from others? Well, here are some of the differences:

1 - The exhibit hall is free for your browsing & buying pleasure (you need not be a registered event attendee to visit the hall)

2 - The presenters are not paid or compensated for their presentations, so they are doing this because they love genealogy and they love sharing their passion (and it shows in their presentations)

3 - There is a half hour between each of the sessions (and one hour at lunch time), giving attendees ample time to visit the vendor hall but also chat with the presenters and network with each other (I know how exhausted I get at some conferences when I spend the time between presentations trying to rush to the next one plus squeeze in a bathroom visit)

4 - There is FREE parking, and lots of it! (Our vehicle will be the cabover camper with "Circlemending" and "Hibbenhere" in the top front window & 2 dogs inside.)

5 - The local Family History Center is just a short jaunt from the Convention Center so there is an opportunity to apply what you've learned without even waiting to get home (well, within reason . . . their staff also has to sleep sometime)

6 - No extra charge for the syllabus (unless you order a printed copy): the syllabus is provided on CD so you can view it on your computer and save a few trees!

7 - If you register in advance, you can check out the syllabus on line (and, if you wish, print out the pages for the classes you are most interested in) - how cool is that??

8 - Affordable registration (while early-bird registration is over as of the 1st, the $75 fee for 2 days of education is considerably less than some of the national conferences; plus, unlike any conference I've ever seen, you can attend just a single class (for a nominal fee of $12, but no syllabus with that option) if all you want is to learn about one particular thing or you only have one hour to attend (also available: a $40/day price if you don't want to - or can't - attend for both days)

9 - The keynote speaker, Tim Sullivan, CEO of Ancestry.com, can be heard for FREE . . . no registration required to hear him speak on "Digital Expectations: Preserving Yesterday’s Records for Today’s Researchers"

10 - The option of receiving free assistance from a professional (must sign up at the booth for that - times are posted) . . . bring your research question(s) and paperwork (pedigree chart, family group sheets, or laptop with the info, etc.) to make this the most beneficial it can be

If I wasn't already going to be there (check out the Circlemending booth - #11 - to learn about music and your ancestors and/or attend one of my presentations) I'd have just sold me on attending! And, to my California friends: this event is probably closer to you than the St. George Expo, to be held in February . . . with warmer weather (that last is directed to those easterners who are digging out from beneath all that snow). Come enjoy the warmth - both inside & out - and I'll see you at the Mesa, AZ Family History Expo!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments related to this post or topic; others will be deleted. Contact blog author directly for other issues.